IN COOPERATION WITH
The Nuremberg district section of BUND Naturschutz (BN) is an important consultant and supporter:
- In the shop of the BN branch office in Nuremberg, Endterstr. 14, there are – in addition to own products such as bird and insect houses, seeds and BN information material – the free "MERIANIN 2018+" brochure, the Merian letter cards and inexpensive plaques for Merian meadows, flower beds and balcony boxes.
- The BN district section administers the tax deductible Merian donations and helps to find funding for Merian projects.
- Reports on Merian activities are regularly published on the regional BN homepage and in the semi-annual magazine "Mauersegler".
- Merian is also integrated into the spacious BN biotope in Nuremberg-Kornburg:
The contact centre of “Bündnis für Biodiversität” (Alliance for Biodiversity) has supported the Merian brochure project from the beginning (2017).
Since then, the initiative "MERIANIN 2018+" has been seeking ever closer networking with the Nuremberg institutions and organisations in this international alliance.
The special perspective on Nuremberg's history with its garden culture and Merian as the "first ecologist" is meant to activate and bundle local energies even more, in the interest of mutual support. The Nuremberg Agenda 21 (see next point) is an important platform in this connection.
Referat für Umwelt und Gesundheit der Stadt Nürnberg, Kontaktstelle des Bündnisses für Biodiversität
Tel.: 0911/231-59 04
The local Agenda 21 is closely linked to the Alliance for Biodiversity. Local authorities play an important role in the worldwide Agenda 21 process, being close to problems and needs on-site. Hence the City of Nuremberg also has the task of initiating and supporting a local Agenda 21. The actors are the citizens themselves with their projects.
The “MERIANIN 2018+” initiative is part of this process and was able to start successfully thanks to subsidies from the Agenda funds over three consecutive years.
“MERIANIN 2018+" receives further constant and important support through Nuremberg’s Third Mayor with his department "Servicebetrieb Öffentlicher Raum" (SÖR = Service Company for the Public Space).
- Already in 2018, a "Merian Meadow" was created in a park near the town centre (Kontumaz Garden) which has been thriving, with seasonally changing blossoms requiring little maintenance. SÖR grass strips and other public spaces into bloom in many places
- The suggestion to designate a "Merianin Riverside Walk" in the planning process of a new park in the western area of the old town was immediately approved by the city council and integrated into the planning by SÖR.
Nürnberg gewinnt. Wir schaffen Perspektiven und fördern die Stadtgesellschaft.
The main sponsor of the "MERIANIN 2018+" initiative has so far been the Zukunftsstiftung der Sparkasse Nürnberg (Non-profit Foundation for the Future under the auspices of the Nuremberg Savings Bank), which aims to "foster a sustainable and diverse quality of life in "through multifaceted longterm support of projects.” With a generous three year grant over, now extended by one year due to the Corona pandemic, this foundation enables the cooperation of MERIANIN 2018+ with the Children's Museum and the environmental pedagogue Stefan Mümmler.
With the aid of the grant from the “Zukunftsstiftung der Nürnberger Sparkasse”, the Children's & Youth Museum has expanded its offerings for kindergartens and primary schools on topics dealing with biodiversity in nature.
New focal installations in the permanent exhibition or in the neighbouring “Leon Garden” provide additional information about the different species of insects and their habitats, encounters with these in nature, crafting nesting aids and seed bombs for insect-friendly flowering plants on public green spaces.
A three-part Painted Lady project for school classes, even for 1st and 2nd primary school classes has been successful in practice:
- Lessons by an environmental pedagogue
Topic: butterflies, their living conditions and development phases from egg to caterpillar, pupa to butterfly with living caterpillars and instructions for their care
- The caterpillars remain in a cylindrical net and are cared for by the children (if necessary, with further advice from the pedagogue); observation of the pupation until the butterflies hatch (approx. 3 to 4 weeks).
- Exchange of experiences with the pedagogue and release of the butterflies under his guidance
In Cooperation with Experiminator
Education for multipliers, especially for teachers, at Nuremberg Institute for Pedagogy and School Psychology (IPSN):
Workshop for activities with children (especially pupils)
Topic: Protecting our natural resource base and preserving its diversity with Merian as an inspiring role model, so that children themselves can become little explorers and protectors of nature
Additional forms of cooperation in the new environmental station at the Wöhrder See after the end of the Corona pandemic are in planning.
Wir bieten Teilhabe in Nürnberg.
Wir leben Teilhabe.
The Natur Erlebnis Gärtnerei (Nature Experience Garden Centre) of this largest social enterprise in Nuremberg has already linked several sales promotions with Merian’s name, thereby demonstrating how Merian also fits as a "seal of quality" in this sector:
- A Merian pavilion with the Merian roll-ups was set up at the season´s opening of the garden centre at "Marktplatz (market place) Marienberg" at the beginning of May 2019. Particularly insect-friendly plants were offered there and the Merian brochure, reprinted in the workshops of “noris inclusion”, was available free of charge.
- At the "Bio-Erleben-Wochenende" (Organic Experience Weekend) in July 2019 at Nuremberg's main market, large Merian banners and planted containers with "her" food and insect plants were eye-catchers.
- MERIANIN 2018+ arranged that pupils from the inclusive Nuremberg Merian School were invited to the garden centre to choose plants for their school garden free of charge.
The English website of “The Merian Society” in Amsterdam is an important resource for all questions related to Merian research.
Increasingly, the relatively brief phase of Merian's life in Nuremberg is also taken into account there and there is a continuous flow of exchange relative to Merian research in Amsterdam and Nuremberg.
On its website, the Merian Society has published a paper on the significance of the Nuremberg years in Merian's life, presented during the major international Merian Conference 2017 in Amsterdam.
Our essential partners for this website are two internet experts, V. Gburek and D. Albert: They have developed the complex, attractive structure of the website and designed it according to our wishes, using our proposed images as well as our texts.
As for the English version, A. Simon and other native-speaker experts have improved each text – already translated by us – with great patience and expertise.
We wish to thank all these partners in Nuremberg and abroad with these virtual, colorful bouquets of Merian flowers.